I sold a few clothing items on ebay just recently.
I made some money. Not a lot but anything is nice for clothes that want to be worn but that just hang listlessly in my closet.
I started wondering what other people do with clothes or accessories they no longer need/want/like.
I have a love/hate relationship with consignment stores. I like to shop in consignment stores, but the consigning process is always painful.
When I get to heaven I am going to own a pain-free clothing consignment store.
But anyway, sometimes I just donate because I am feeling generous (or lazy).
And other times I use Ebay because I am pretty good at it and usually have good results.
Sometimes I even buy items at thrift stores and then immediately resell them on Ebay. I am a wheeler and dealer like that. Not really but in my dreams.
Do you donate?
Do you consign?
Do you sell on websites like Ebay?
Do you have any tips?
Selling Tips for Ebay
- 1 Listing: Research the item to find a reasonable used price. Don’t expect to get rich.
- And be careful as you are listing not to add features that cost extra. Most listings can be completed for free, and Ebay takes 10% of the final selling price.
- Always make listings for 7 days, ending on a weekend when more people are buying online.
- And don’t be afraid to re-list an item if it does not sell the first time.
- 2 Pre-weigh the item so you know how much to charge for shipping. USPS website is a great resource ! Priority mail is usually the cheapest.
- 3 Use the listing suggestions to find the correct category for your item and make sure to spell the description correctly.
I knew someone who bought a nice car off Ebay for really cheap. The seller explained to this person that he just didn’t understand why no one else bid…well the seller had spelled the name of the car incorrectly so when other bidders searched for the car brand name his listing never came up.
- 4 Be honest in your listing. If the item you are selling is not perfect let bidders know.
- 5 Take GOOD pictures of the item. Use online images if the item is still for sale new.
- 6 In the listing, state what the item sells for “new.”
- 7 Do not offer international shipping. It’s not worth the hassle. Canada is the only other country I will ship to.
- 8 State in the shipping instructions that you have a 3 day handling time. And ask bidders to pay within 24 hrs of the end of the auction.
- 9 Buy your shipping supplies at the dollar store. I know Dollar Tree in my town has all the shipping supplies you could possibly need. The more you spend on shipping supplies the less money you are making.
- 10 It’s cheaper to send the item in a thick package or envelope than it is to ship a box. If you can stuff that pair of jeans in an over-sized envelope than do it.
- 11 Once the item is sold, use the online USPS site through Ebay for purchasing shipping labels The cost of shipping is slightly cheaper when you buy and print online. You can place the package in/beside your mail box, and the post office picks it up for free when they deliver your mail. You do NOT need to wait in line at the post office.